CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 3, 2011

Almejas Frescas



Let me explain...
Yesterday we walked past this stand that sold fresh clams and coconuts. Well the arrangement of the bright lime green limons on the clam shells looked pretty neat so on the way back Mad and I decided to stop by and take a picture. Well wouldn't you know it the people running it spoke very good English, one lady in particular and she asked if I wanted to try one. Well I love all seafood, especially clams... when they're fried. This was different. She proceeded to tell me that it's just like taking a shot... "Lady, I've never done a shot!" She tried to comfort me by saying she would make it up just for me. She began to squirt a bunch of limon juice and salt and even began the Salsa Huichol (hot sauce) before I warned her I'm not too good with spice (eek). Then she places it in my hand. "What have I gotten myself in to?!" Other times in Mexico I have tried some *ahem* different things... intestines, termites, brain... but this was the hardest. My biggest fear was that I was going to drink that thing and it was not going down... it was big! Well it took me a while and some patience from Mad holding the camera, but I did 'er and ya know... it really wasn't that bad! Mind you it took a bit for the clam to come out at first but the gal was right and it just slid right down ;)
Well now that's one thing off the list: "Eat something gross in Mexico"

Aren't the colours great... should have done colour accent (thought of you Lydia)

While I was weighing this all up, another lady was ordering a coconut FULL of clams... "uh, maybe next time" ;)

"Am I seriously doing this?!"

There she be... she's in my tummy now though ;)

2 comments: